Here’s my final post for 2014. I wish you all a safe end to the year, and much joy for whatever holidays you celebrate. Imma finish up my first year of blogging by responding to the two Liebster nominations I received within a week of each other! Thank you to Kallisina (Mischief Managed) and Lazarinth (Fantasy and Anime) for the nominations!
For those of you not aware of it, the Liebster Award is an opportunity to link up smaller blogs with each other, create a little bit of a community and some diversity. If you’re nominated, and you feel like it, you answer the 11 questions provided to you, nominate some other bloggers with less than 1,000 followers, and ask 11 questions for them to answer. You’re meant to also provide 11 facts about yourself, but I’m just going to go ahead and answer two lots of questions.
Here are my responses to Kallisina’s questions;
1. If you could have any pet in the world, illegal or not, what would you get?
I’ve had my heart set on owning a goat for some time now, but lately I think the entertainment of a lyre bird will surpass anything else (check out how awesome they are here). Could I handle all of that noise, though? I dunno, but I’m willing to find out.
2. What was your favourite cartoon growing up?
I don’t know if I really had a favourite, but if I had to pick one, I’d probably go with Teen Titans (Beast Boy = the bomb), but the old version, not the horrific new crap they’ve got showing now.
3. Coolest thing you’ve ever been for Halloween?
We don’t celebrate Halloween in Australia. If you try to, you’re normally greeted with resentful looks and a snappish remark along the lines of “This is Australia. Not. America.” (Yes, we do know that other countries celebrate it as well, calm down). But I’d have to say the coolest thing I’ve dressed up as was for a school play; I was a fortune-teller/gypsy in “The Phantom of the Soap Opera”; donning a belly-dancing outfit with plenty of bells, my only regret is dropping the mic during the performance.
4. What’s your dream job?
Something involving helping others. Guess that’s why I studied psychology.
5. When it’s New Year’s, do you make New Year’s Resolution and actually commit to them?
Nope, but I do something similar with my best friend; we both pick a food group or drink considered ‘unhealthy’ and give it up for 6 months. She made the insane decision of doing chocolate in 2014. My hardest was soft-drink in 2013.
6. Which horror movie scared you the most?
All of them. I’m a sook. But I watched “The Others” when I was younger, and that has always stuck with me.
7. Strangest food you’ve eaten?
Texturally? Durian; a slimy, gooey mango that tasted worse than how it smelt. Overall? Crocodile.
8. Do you play an instrument?
I do! I’ve played the flute since I was ten, although I’m slack and hardly play it any more.
9. Do you swear in front of your parents?
I try not to out of respect, but when I’m particularly frustrated, annoyed, quoting something, or emphasizing a story, I do.
10. Someone offers you a chance at immortality. Do you take it?
No way. Watching my loved ones die and the ultimate destruction of the earth? I’d rather let the wormies eat me, thanks.
11. If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go?
Everywhere. The list of places I want to go to is ridiculously long. I suppose somewhere in Europe would be good; St. Petersburg or Vienna, so then I can easily go anywhere else. When you’ve lived in Australia your whole life, all the other countries appear ridiculously close to each other.
Here are my responses to Lazarinth’s questions;
1. Where would you rather be right now?
Bali. Always Bali.
2. If you had the perfect story in what medium would you want to see portrayed in?
Nothing can beat a good, old-fashioned book. If I wanted a more visual medium, I’d have to say TV series.
3. What has been your most popular post? Please link it.
That would be my first review of the anime ‘Another‘.
4. Do you have a favourite fact about science? If so, what is it?
This isn’t necessarily a ‘fact’, more of a phenomenon, but I definitely think it’s interesting; it is possible to be blind but still unconsciously ‘see’ things. This is known as ‘blind-sight’, and occurs when there is damage to the areas of the brain involved in (higher-level) processing of visual information. People with blind-sight report not being able to see, but if in a forced-answer situation, will answer the same as someone who can consciously see. For example, if asked if two patterns are alike or similar, people with blind-sight will answer correctly, despite not being able to ‘see’ the stimulus. I love the brain.
5. On average how many hours do you think you spend masturbating a week?
All of them… Wait, are you expecting serious answers?
6. What’s your favourite book(s)?
I’ve read so many of them it’s hard to say, but something I really loved that I read in the past few years was The Count of Monte Cristo.
7. What your favourite food(s)?
Most of them. I’m not too much of a fussy eater, but generally if it’s of Japanese, Indonesian, Vietnamese, Chinese, Italian, or English origin, I will love it.
8. What’s your stance on religion?
I used to attend a Baptist Church when I was younger and was fairly religious, went all anti-religion when I was about 14, but have since left that behind. I don’t like the idea of organised religion, and my stance on (a?) God’s existence wavers, but I think people should be free to believe whatever they want as long as they’re not bringing harm to others.
9. Are you (even partially) addicted to anything?
Substance-wise? No. But I do tend to obsess over things randomly, so I’m sure there will be something in a few weeks (past phases include; origami, learning about commercial aviation tragedies, a particular Free! parody, and so on).
10. What would be your ideal setting in a work of fiction?
Hmmm… a Lord of the Rings type setting. Somewhere incredibly pretty with minimal technology and awesome architecture. There doesn’t necessarily need to have magic or different human-like species/races, though.
11. How many Vowels are in your name?
3 A’s, 3 E’s, and 1 lonely little I. If my understanding of maths is correct, that’s 7.
I’m not going to nominate 11 bloggers, but I am going to nominate some really awesome blogs you should check out; kathrynjanee (Lily and Jane), timeoftheday (Dramatic Reviews), arriacross (fujinsei), xkan (Kantopia), sylphalchemist (Spoils), and Windborne Sword (Windborne’s Story Eatery). Because these blogs are quite varied, I’m posing less theme-related questions, and more interesting-knowledge questions;
- Worst food you’ve ever eaten?
- Can you juggle?
- What is an interesting fact about your heritage?
- Dogs, cats, or turtles?
- If you could have one ability/attribute/characteristic from an animal, what would it be?
- If you could kill off one character from any story, who would it be and why?
- What is hands-down the best ending to any TV series you’ve watched?
- If you were Ruler of the World and could create one law that would be obeyed no matter what, what would it be?
- Are/were you a Harry Potter fan, and if so, how badly? (If you weren’t using chopsticks as wands when you were a kid, you aren’t even on my level)
- Have you ever had an operation? If so, what for?
- What is one thing you are determined to do in 2015?